Sunday, May 8, 2011

How to Fix the Floors of a Jeep Truck? Get a New Cab!!!!

In the previous post I mentioned that I got a new engine, well a rebuilt one. I drove my truck back home in July of 2010 and finally began using it. I immediately began to haul wood or furniture. I also found the truck to be reliable in the snow. It's not a very good off-road vehicle because of the tires.

My Jeep Truck

As I continued to drive it, the transmission gave me a few problems. It didn't happen often, but sometime I would hear it whine, grind, and occasionally had trouble between 2nd and third gear, especially going up a hill. I decided to have Jake look at it and it was decided that indeed my transmission had some issues, mainly with the end of the pilot shaft, which had been worn down considerably over the past 35 years. Also, the transfer case had some issues.

The pilot shaft connects the transmission to the engine.


Well, I say that about the transmission to say this. We picked out a transmission from Jake's yard and found that we needed to get some parts for it before we could do anything else. Therefore, we decided to work on other things, like the floors of the Jeep Truck. Both the passenger and driver side of the cab had massive holes. In so doing, we noticed a pretty nice cab that would be a good upgrade for my truck. The floors were fixed, the wiring was new, the weather stripping was like new amongst other parts of the cab. So, we decided to swap cabs. I was daunted by this project. Doesn't this take like months or something?? We had my old cab off in about 3 hours....
The cab is held on by 4 bolts. The two in the front, underneath, were easy to manage. Don't forget your breaker bar. You have to take out the seat to get to the others. Keep a sawz-all nearby incase you can't get the bolts for the seat out. They tend to be pretty rusty. 
The dash pad has been removed. This is what is underneath.
Notice the seatbelts....defintely an upgrade from my lap belts.




No comments:

Post a Comment