Saturday, May 7, 2011

Rebuilt In-Line Jeep J10 Engine


In the spring of 2009 I drove my truck back home. It was great to have a bed, and a bumper I could actually step on to work on my truck. However, it started smoking again, and in general the engine got worse and worse. I didn't drive it much because I was afraid it would break down somewhere. This cause the engine to deteriorate even more. In general, it was a hopeless cause. I was at a crossroads with my truck. I didn't know if I should invest anymore time and money into it or not. My knowledge for mechanics had grown, but major engine work was definitely out of my reach. I didn't know what to do. Jessica and I had a few talks on whether it was truly worth it to invest in a new engine, and in general it was not looking good for my truck. 


Long story short, Jake found a rebuilt engine for me from a truck he'd just brought in. By this time, about a year had gone by since I'd been at his house last. The rebuilt engine he found was a the same in-line 6 cylinder engine that was in my truck. Both are 4.2 L or 258 cubic inch motors. The like-new one had no miles on it, and had just recently been rebuilt before the guy decided restoring his truck was too big of a project.....And for some reason, he decided to paint the engine yellow....

Rebuilt Jeep J10 In-Line 6 - 258 ci motor 
My wife and I both agreed that this would be a good investment, so we started preparing for this new engine. Since we were getting a new engine, it was also a good investment to change all the hoses, the radiator, spark plugs, plug wires, and anything that might as well be changed now to ensure longevity from the new engine. 
Old Radiator
New Radiator
The next task was to drain all the fluids in the old engine and radiator, and then begin removing almost everything from the engine bay because I had decided to paint the engine bay black. I took off the heater core and fan, solenoid and ignition control module, horn, wiper fluid reservoir, wiring to lights and ignition.

After getting everything preparing for the engine, it was time to pull the old engine out, clean up the engine bay, and prepare for the new one to go back in. Again, this could possibly be a weekend job for somebody, but since I went to Jake's every few Saturdays, it took a little while to complete.




Removing the engine left a lot of room for me to work. There's already a lot of room in there, but this was insane. As soon as I got the old engine out, I began sanding the engine bay for the semi-gloss black I was going to paint it. Then, I painted the engine Ford Blue. I'm not sure why I painted it that color, but it happened. 
Hood/ Table combination.








Here is the passenger side floor of the cab....what was left of it.
That's a project for another day.
Here are pictures of the engine bay. They aren't very good. Oh well.


Here's the painted engine. 


I didn't actually take pictures of the new engine after the project was finished. However, I do have some glance shots of the engine during the next project that I started, removing the cab. You'll see this soon. 
Finished Engine on During Project 

Rebuilt Engine and Indestructible Bumper
 





No comments:

Post a Comment