Friday, September 23, 2011

A Week of Rebuilding - The Engine and Transmission

Okay, time for another update.

As I mentioned before, the axle was pretty much holding up progress. After I did the brakes and we got the new axle bolted down, everything went fairly quickly. First of all, why put the cab on when you have plenty of room to bolt down the engine and transmission? That's what we did next. When I say, "that's what we did next," I wasn't talking about a 5 minute job. First of all, the old pilot bushing did not want to come out. It had been ground down to almost nothing, and then Jake beat the hell out of the bushing to get it out.

NP 208 Transfer Case connected to T176 Transmission
To make matters worse, I managed to misplace all the bolts that went with the cross-member that you see supporting the transmission. Also, I had to re-drill holes in the cross-member because the new transmission didn't bolt in the same place as the old one.

Dana 20 Transfer Case connected to T150 Transmission 
Another fun task was finding a new drive shaft for that would fit the new transfer case. Previously I had a  Dana 20 transfer case that had the front output shaft is on the passenger's side, making it a little more compact than my current NP 208 transfer case. The drive shaft had to be a lot shorter. This also meant that I needed to find a front drive shaft that would be longer than my previous one. It wasn't easy to find, but both turned up in the Jake's junkyard.



4-Speed T176 Transmission and NP 208 Transfer Case.
There is not shifter, so we used a  root beer
candy  package to cover  it up. Why not?


No comments:

Post a Comment