Monday, March 28, 2011

The Scout - Part 1

One vehicle equally as notorious as the 50-dollar-car was the 1966 International Scout. Let me carefully unfold the temporary bout of insanity that ended with a rare, worn-out lawn ornament that we so much endeared.
Cute Girl Named Jessica

By this time, I had graduated from Campbell University and was in my second year at UNC-Asheville to become certified to teach high school English. I spent my time either working at Ingles part time, going to UNCA, hanging out with a cute girl named Jessica, or browsing the Iwanna paper for off-road vehicles. My brother and I had both been addicted to the Iwanna paper after finding both the 50 dollar car and the '82 Rue. Now it was time to raise the stakes.


1967 Jeep Kaiser
We looked at several vehicles, one of which was a 1967 Jeep Kaiser for sale. My brother couldn't make it for a test drive, so I asked Jessica (just my friend at the time), and she agreed to come along. She must have been either crazy in love or just crazy--probably a little of both.  We test drove it and was about to pull out on the road when we realized it didn't have any brakes. It was a miracle that I didn't imitate a monster truck rally on top of a BMW and Toyota Tacoma. Somehow I stalled the stupid thing to get it to shut off. It was a beast.

1978 Jeep J10
My brother and I also looked at a 1971 Jeep Commando and a 1978 Jeep J10. Neither of these vehicles passed our "stringent" and meticulous standards of mobility, off-road potential, and most of all.....being dirt cheap. No matter, my true madness and lack of knowledge would inevitably lead me to the 2 ½ ton unmoving box on wheels known as the Scout.


1971 Jeep Commando



No comments:

Post a Comment