Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Scout - Part 3




So when James, Jessica and I got to Franklin, NC and looked at the Scout, there were mixed feelings. Jessica and James were thinking "neat vehicle...uh....don't buy it!" Again, I was thinking how cool it would be to drive it, and how I could turn it into the coolest ride in town.



 When the owner started up the Scout and and let me test drive it, I was still impressed. It seemed enough to me that the vehicle started and drove. Here's a conversation that kind of explains the trip we took to get the Scout:


James: 
I still remember when you test drove that thing and I was thinking "Jesus, this thing is a complete death trap pile o' feces" and you were like "THIS IS AWESOME!!" and I was "ha ha!" because I THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDDING.

Scott:
 You should have beat the crap out of me when you found out I was serious, but before i actually handed over the cash.

James:
I tried to...I think you'd been watching too many Trucks shows or something.

Scott:
you got it. I was too green to realize it's not exactly easy to "restore" a vehicleor even to get a vehicle to run. That engine was filled with a sludgy syrup that resembled oil. I almost sold it to a guy who wanted to pay me 700 bucks (the same i paid for it) but the stupid thing wouldn't start....of course...

James:
I think that's the only reason I didn't actually beat you with a stick...you didn't massively over pay for it and was likely going to be able to get out what you put into it

Scott:
Yep. And then i buy the jeep truck. It was a little smokey, but the signal lights worked!!! I thought it was a great find as opposed to the Scout. Oh, poor clueless rookie me. Little did I know the engine was kaput, the frame was freaking rotting, and the tranny was about done...


On the way home from Franklin, the Scout overheated 3 times. This was not a good start to my dream vehicle. The life of the Scout was rather anti-climatic. It stayed at my parent's house most of the time in the driveway. I didn't know how to do any engine work or any mechanical repairs more complicated than spark plugs or an oil change. I did try to paint it black. This endeavor began with a bucket of airplane paint remover (which really does burn your skin, especially on the back of the neck....), and finished with a primer gray hood and driver side painted black. The Scout was pretty unsuccessful even when I sold it for $150 less than what I paid for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment